Why smell?

I imagine that this blog is more for me than it is for anyone. Writing is my passion, and this is an outlet. However, I understand that life is not limited to my experience only. The things that God brings me through, the situations He steers me around, the choices that He helps me make, and the ways in which He makes me grow, are all events that may help a fellow Christian.

So I hope that this blog is a help to you. I hope it encourages you. I hope it challenges you. I hope it blesses you. I hope it makes you laugh and think. Mostly, I hope that it helps you on your journey towards Christ-likeness.

In my failures may you find warnings; in my successes, helps; in my pain, empathy; in my joys, happiness; in my journey, a companion.

God bless...

may we all have the smell of excellence...the smell of Christ.

Monday, September 19, 2011

The Jesus Inquest by Charles Foster

I recently read a book called The Jesus Inquest by Charles Foster. This book looked closely at the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and included both for and against arguments in detailed fashion.
I am a born again Christian that firmly believes in the resurrection account contained in Scripture. Having spent time reading this book, I find that my largest complaint is that the author never explicitly states his own opinion. I understand and applaud the idea of writing a book while trying to be as objective as possible. However, what is the point of writing a book detailing explicit arguments if the results of the effort do not lead you to embrace one side or the other?
To be fair, the author does tell the reader that he has reached a decision based on the evidence. Unfortunately, this only added to my frustration at not knowing what that decision was. Imagine for a moment if the President of the United States proposed a bill that had many negatives and positives. Imagine if he concluded his presentation by saying, “In light of all of the evidence for and against this measure, I have made a decision; I hope you can make one as well.” That kind of incomplete and shady statement would make even an ardent supporter scratch his head.
Again, I understand the author’s desire to remain objective throughout the book. However, if the point of one’s book is to cultivate an opinion in the reader, then the reader should know how the research affected the opinion of the author. What the readers of this book are left with is exactly what many of them had before they picked it up: the case for both sides.
Despite the one flaw that I have detailed, I found the book to be incredibly informative and thought-provoking. Not only did the author put forth every argument in painstaking detail, he also explained where each argument stood in relation to mainstream thought. For example, some arguments against the resurrection are not even considered valid by those most opposed to the idea of it. Instead of leaving those arguments out of his research, the author included them and detailed the pros and cons, regardless of how ludicrous they were.
Since I started out biased toward the Christian viewpoint, I found myself appalled at some of the accusations against the resurrection. I also found myself cheering when the evidence for a certain aspect of the resurrection clearly debunked an argument against it. The author did make one statement that caused me some concern. He suggested that no one could believe in verbal inspiration after a close examination of the Gospels. His argument stemmed from the many differences and omissions between Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. I disagree wholly with that suggestion.
Overall, this book has caused me to examine some things more closely, to lean more fully on faith, and to take Scripture at its face-value. I think that this book is a must-read for those interested in apologetics, as it really does a good job of trying to “prove” both sides of the argument.

You can check out the reviewed book at <http://www.booksneeze.com/blogger/resources/9780849948114>

*the publisher of this book provided me with a complimentary or advanced reading copy through BookSneeze®.

No comments:

Post a Comment