Why smell?

I imagine that this blog is more for me than it is for anyone. Writing is my passion, and this is an outlet. However, I understand that life is not limited to my experience only. The things that God brings me through, the situations He steers me around, the choices that He helps me make, and the ways in which He makes me grow, are all events that may help a fellow Christian.

So I hope that this blog is a help to you. I hope it encourages you. I hope it challenges you. I hope it blesses you. I hope it makes you laugh and think. Mostly, I hope that it helps you on your journey towards Christ-likeness.

In my failures may you find warnings; in my successes, helps; in my pain, empathy; in my joys, happiness; in my journey, a companion.

God bless...

may we all have the smell of excellence...the smell of Christ.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Weakling

I do not particularly enjoy it when I am struggling. Whether it is physically, emotionally, mentally, or spiritually, I would much rather the sailing be smooth than rough. I really wish that I had everything figured out. I wish that my finances were in order, that more money was always coming in than was going out. I wish that I had retirement funds started and college funds for my kids. I wish that I did not have student loans and car loans to pay off. I really wish that I was perfect. I wish that my mind wouldn't wander. I wish that there weren't times when I coveted when others had. I wish that I could trust in God completely and never question Him. I wish that I never stretched the truth. I wish that my sarcastic mouth never got me in trouble. I wish I was more responsible, and that I had more self-control. I wish that I would never mess up. But I do. I struggle everyday, and some days I am ready to throw in the towel. I really wish that I were not so frail.

But then I am reminded of what God says in II Cor. 2:9. Everyone knows the first part of that verse. We see it on everything from bookmarks and bumper-stickers to plaques and banners: "My grace is sufficient for thee." But that is not where the verse ends. It goes on to say, "for my strength is made perfect in weakness." Paul goes on to say, "Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." What an encouragement this verse was to me today.

If I were perfect, God would not work in me, for I would not need Him to. If I were not so weak, I would never need to experience the strength of God working in my life. Maybe other people out there struggle with things as much as I do. Maybe sometimes it feels as if you cannot do anything right and you think, "why does everything seem so hard?" I think those are times where God is longing to show us His strength being made perfect through our weakness.

My prayer is that the power of Christ would work mightily in my life...because I am completely broken without it. My prayer is that He would show Himself powerful in your life as well. I know that this is short, but I hope that it can be an encouragement to someone who may be hurting.

No comments:

Post a Comment